Spiritual healing

Apr 15, 2011

A reply to an adolescent's query

At Sikhnet a young person asked as follows
<<<<<< by Anonymous Singh 1 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:43 am Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh! I am 17 and I desperately want to become Amritdhari. But I have not memorised Japji Sahib, Rehras, Sohila Path... I speak Punjabi well, but I cannot read or write anything. My Grandfather's brother used to be an alcoholic, but he took Amrit and it saved his life - should I do as he did (take Amrit and solve all my problems afterwards with Guru Ji's kirpa?). Perhaps those among the Sangat who have chakked Amrit can share with me their own stories of becoming part of the Khalsa. I am from a Sikh family, although they are all Sehajdari with a very limited knowledge of Amrit Sanchaar and Sikhism in general. I know they will not be overjoyed if I do decide to take Amrit. I would also like advice on how to smooth them over and persuade them that taking Amrit was good if I do decide to become Amritdhari. I'm also trying to stop eating meat. Any practical advice with regards to that would be much appreciated. Thank You.
Anonymous Singh 1>>>>>
My reply was as follows:-
Amrit is a Guru's call.If you get a call you would go running no matter what your family members think.Rest of the experience,knowledge would start comming at its own pace.Path can be heard if not read.Moreover the message and devotion of Guruji can come in as short as Mool Mantra or just 'Satnam Waheguru'or 'Har Har'.Banis five or more or complete SGGS ji would be experienced by the soul as per your spiritual appetite.Best wishes.